The American Gas Association awarded Greater Minnesota Gas the Industry Leader Accident Prevention Award. This award is in recognition for achieving a total DART incidence rate below the industry average for 2019.
In the natural gas industry, being recognized for safe operating practices is the highest form of praise a company can receive. At GMG, safety is in the forefront of our minds everyday. Our technicians share the road with you, respond to gas leaks, and ensure that our underground pipelines are marked correctly when you call 811. In the event of an emergency our technicians are available to respond no matter the day or time.
Our customers play a large role in helping us to operate safely. The following tips will allow us to serve a safe, reliable fuel source to your home for many years to come:
- Natural gas has an odorant called Mercaptan added to it, giving it an odor of rotten eggs. If you smell this, call GMG at (888) 931-3411 24 hours a day and technician will make the situation safe at no cost to you.
- You must call Gopher State One Call at 811 prior to digging in your yard to have your underground utilities marked.
- Ensure that your carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms are working by testing monthly and changing the batteries twice a year. (Daylight savings is a great time!)
- Keep the area around your furnace and water heater free from boxes, rags, chemicals, gasoline and paint cans.
- Never use a stove or range as a heat source. If you are struggling to properly heat your home, call GMG at (888) 931-3411. We can help.