The American Gas Association awarded Greater Minnesota Gas the Transportation Safety and Small Business Safety Awards for 2018. Two of our technicians, Mike and Lauren, went to Nashville, TN to accept the awards at the AGA Operations Conference and Biennial Exhibition.
In the natural gas industry, being recognized for safe operating practices is the highest form of praise a company can receive. At GMG, safety is in the forefront of our minds everyday. Our technicians share the road with you, respond to gas leaks, and ensure that our underground pipelines are marked correctly when you call 811. If you smell a rotten egg odor or accidentally hit your service line while doing yard work, you can be assured that our office staff will dispatch a technician to make the situation safe for you.
Our customers play a large role in helping us to operate safely. The following tips will allow us to serve a safe, reliable fuel source to your home for many years to come:
- Natural gas has an odorant called Mercaptan added to it, giving it an odor of rotten eggs. If you smell this, call GMG at (888) 931-3411 24 hours a day and technician will make the situation safe at no cost to you.
- You must call Gopher State One Call at 811 prior to digging in your yard to have your underground utilities marked.
- Ensure that your carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms are working by testing monthly and changing the batteries twice a year. (Daylight savings is a great time!)
- Keep the area around your furnace and water heater free from boxes, rags, chemicals, gasoline and paint cans.
- Never use a stove or range as a heat source. If you are struggling to properly heat your home, call GMG at (888) 931-3411. We can help.